MIND, BODY AND SPIRIT
Mind, Body & Spirit programs are designed to help reduce stress and improve coping in the midst of a cancer diagnosis. Mindfulness, meditation, expressive arts, relaxation therapies and the healing garden offer powerful ways to help participants cope, find comfort and heal.
All classes are being held virtually.
Sound Healing Therapy
Tuesdays by appointment only
Sandy LaBianco-Brown, Certified Vibrational Sound Therapist
Sound healing is a virtual one-on-one service using Himalayan singing bowls to promote total relaxation and decrease the effects of stress on the body and mind. The combination of the different tones produces an immediate state of tranquility as the sound waves encourage restoration to the central nervous system to bring about deep relaxation and meditation. To schedule an appointment, please email email@example.com or call 331-301-5280.
By appointment only
Sandy LaBianco-Brown, Reiki Master, Karen Jendruczek and Danae Iacovella, Reiki Practitioners
This virtual one-on-one Reiki service is an energetic relaxation therapy that offers many benefits, including stress reduction, mental clarity, relief of pain and improved sleep. Reiki connects the mind, body and spirit as a whole. A Reiki practitioner can direct the Reiki energy by using hands-on contact, placing the hand slightly above the body or distantly. During your virtual Reiki session, you will be guided through self-Reiki hand placements while the provider sends Reiki to you distantly. To schedule an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 331-301-5280.
UZIT Customized Comfort Session
By appointment only
Pam Riley-Valesh, RN, Certified Clinical Aromatherapist, Reflexologist, Healing Touch Spiritual Ministry Practitioner
Urban Zen Integrative Therapy (UZIT)utilizes a variety of complementary therapy modalities that include breathwork, body awareness meditation, restorative poses, Reiki and essential oils to help ease discomfort. Schedule a virtual individualized appointment to learn how small things can help you to feel better in a big way! To schedule an appointment, please email email@example.com or call 331-301-5280.
Multi-Texture Bead Bracelet
Tuesday, September 15 • 1 to 2 p.m.
Sandy LaBianco-Brown, Reiki Master
Create a unique bracelet using round and chip bead gemstones in this virtual beading workshop. All materials will be provided and available via curbside pickup. Additional materials to have on hand include a beading tray or hand towel and a ruler. Call 331-301-5280 or register online by September 8.
Put the Glow Back into Your Skin and Soul
Wednesday, September 16 • 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Geralyn O’Brien, Licensed Oncology-Focused Esthetician; Sandy LaBianco-Brown, Reiki Master, Certified Vibrational Sound Therapist;
Michelle Zepeda, MPH
Grab your headphones, dim the lights and get comfortable as you join us for an evening of relaxation with a virtual spa night to restore your skin and soul. Wind down with a guided meditation, oncology safe sheet mask and sound healing session. Attendees will receive a self-care package that will be available via curbside pickup. Please let us know if are aware of an allergy or sensitivity to any ingredient. Register online or call 331-301-5280.
Giving Back Society
Fridays: September 18, October 16, November 20 • 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Are you looking for opportunities to pay it forward by helping other cancer patients on the journey? Join the Waterford Place Giving Back Society where each month you and other members of the club will brainstorm ideas and participate in activities that make a difference in the cancer community. Register online or call 331-301-5280.
Mixed Media Art: Autumn Pastels
Tuesday, September 22 • 3 to 4 p.m.
Barbara Weigand, Caring Arts
Barbara shows you how to create a simple autumn landscape using her favorite medium. Register online or call 331-301-5280.
Mindful Yoga Flow
September 29, October 13 and 29, and November 19 • 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Gitanjali Mahanti, MSW
This series of yoga classes will focus on standing, balance, seated and supine poses to strengthen your muscles and improve balance and endurance. Participants will also learn pranayama (breathwork) and meditation to master the mind, overcome stress and connect to inner peace. Blankets, yoga blocks or books, a strap or belt and a chair will be used in this class. Register online or call 331-301-5280.
UZIT Body Awareness Meditation
UZIT, or Urban Zen Integrative Therapy, uses a variety of contemporary modalities – including breathwork, body awareness meditation, restorative poses, reiki and essential oils – to help ease discomfort. Enjoy a taste of UZIT with this 25-minute meditation from Pam Riley-Valesh, RN, certified clinical aromatherapist, and experience peace and inner calmness.
Healing Meditation: Relax with Sandy
Relax with Sandy LaBianco-Brown as she guides you through this healing sound meditation – made especially for you to listen to in your own home.
Enjoy these music selections performed by Caring Arts musicians.
- Enjoy more music from Caring Arts musicians Bill Syniar and Greg Hirte. Taken from a special Zoom performance for Gilda’s Club Outreach, this nine-minute video includes "Oh, Darlin'," "The Girl from Ipanema" and "Summertime."
- Caring Arts musicians Bill Syniar and Greg Hirte team up to provide the music for a sing-along version of “Here Comes the Sun” along with renditions of "Moon Dance" and “Sway."
- Enjoy "Moon River", "Blackbird" and other easy listening selections.
- Caring Arts musicians Bill and Katy provide 14 minutes of beautiful violin and guitar music. Songs include "Wonderful World," "Besame Mucho", "Yesterday" and "Time After Time."
- Enjoy music featuring Beatles tunes "Here Comes the Sun" and "Let It Be" and "My Favorite Things" and "Edelweiss" from The Sound of Music.
- This virtual performance features "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," the Beatles "Something," "Danny Boy," and Bill's original "Bossa."
- Bill and Katy perform "All of Me," Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah," "Meditation" and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight."
Arts and Crafts
- Newspaper Collage. Create easy collage art using newspaper, magazines and paint or markers. Chicago artist Ellen Lustig demonstrates in this nine-minute video from the Caring Arts Foundation.
- Make your own bright-colored yarn from old T-shirts. Brooke from the Caring Arts Foundation demonstrates how in this six-minute video. Then follow the link in the video description to learn to create macrame projects, hairbands, rag rugs, friendship bracelets and other fun craft items using this yarn.
- Chinese Take-Out Carton Flower Pot. Make a pretty herb or flower pot from recycled Chinese carry-out cartons. Barbara Weigand of the Caring Arts Foundation shows you how in this eight-minute video.
- Easy Marble Glass Designs. Make beautiful marbleized glass or ceramic ware using nail polish and other materials found in your home. Brooke, an artist from the Caring Arts Foundation, shows you how in this four-minute video. These make great gifts!
- Paper Landscapes.Create easy landscape art at home using torn or cut paper and glue. Barbara Weigand of the Caring Arts Foundation demonstrates three techniques to experiment with in this 42-minute video.
- Tissue Paper Flowers. Call on your inner artist. Barbara Weigand of the Caring Arts Foundation shows you how to create lovely tissue flowers in this 20-minute video.
- Make a bird feeder in minutes and watch the birds come flocking. Barbara Weigand of the Caring Arts Foundation demonstrates this simple project which is perfect for families.
- Learn to make animal puppets from a sock and materials available in your home. Ellen Lustig, a Chicago artist and puppet maker, shows you how in this 11-minute video from the Caring Arts Foundation.
- Paint with dots, using your finger in place of a brush. Chicago artist Ellen Lustig demonstrates, using materials found in your own home. This seven-minute video is from the Caring Arts Foundation.
- Tissue Paper Mosaics. Use assorted colors of tissue paper and your imagination to create mosaic designs Ellen Lustig, a Chicago artist, shows you how in this eight-minute video from the Caring Arts Foundation.
- Gratitude Cards. Say "thank you" or "happy birthday" with these three-dimensional cards made by you at home using basic materials. This 20-minute video is from the Caring Arts Foundation.
Make a Difference
Waterford Place is free of charge to participants; however it is entirely supported by philanthropy meaning that every gift matters. There are many fundraising, corporate giving, individual donation, wish list and volunteer opportunities. Learn more about ways to give.