MIND, BODY AND SPIRIT
Mind, Body & Spirit programs are designed to help reduce stress and improve coping in the midst of a cancer diagnosis. Mindfulness, meditation, expressive arts, relaxation therapies and the healing garden offer powerful ways to help participants cope, find comfort and heal.
All classes are being held virtually.
Giving Back Society
Friday, August 21 • 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Are you looking for opportunities to pay it forward by helping other cancer patients on the journey? Join the Waterford Place Giving Back Society where each month you and other members of the club will brainstorm ideas and participate in activities that make a difference in the cancer community. Register online or call 331-301-5280.
Unplug and Unwind: Lunch Hour Guided Meditation
Thursdays, August 6, 13, 20, 27 • 12 to 12:30 p.m.
Michelle Zepeda, MPH
Take a break from your work day or daily chores and join us for a virtual guided imagery experience incorporating cleansing breath work and an array of relaxation techniques designed to balance emotions, decrease physical and psychological distress and promote the practice of living in the moment. You will feel energized, focused and ready for the rest of your day. Register online or call 331-301-5280.
Sound Healing Meditation
Tuesday, August 11 • 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Sandy LaBianco-Brown, Certified Vibrational Sound Therapist
Join us for a virtual sound healing session to bring deep relaxation and meditation. Immerse yourself in healing sounds designed to promote relaxation and balance for both your body and mind. Register Online
Beaded Suncatcher Workshop
Tuesday, August 18 • 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Sandy LaBianco-Brown, Reiki Master
Register by August 12
In this virtual workshop, we will create a custom beaded suncatcher. This is a great family project to work on together or with a friend! All materials will be provided via curbside pickup. Register Online
Mixed Media Art: Butterflies are Free!
Tuesday, August 25 • 3 to 4 p.m.
Barbara Weigand, Caring Arts
Barbara shows you how to paint three fun splash and splatter versions of a butterfly. It’s easy, freewheeling painting fun, and the results are as beautiful as a butterfly. Register Online
UZIT Body Awareness Meditation
UZIT, or Urban Zen Integrative Therapy, uses a variety of contemporary modalities – including breathwork, body awareness meditation, restorative poses, reiki and essential oils – to help ease discomfort. Enjoy a taste of UZIT with this 25-minute meditation from Pam Riley-Valesh, RN, certified clinical aromatherapist, and experience peace and inner calmness.
Healing Meditation: Relax with Sandy
Relax with Sandy LaBianco-Brown as she guides you through this healing sound meditation – made especially for you to listen to in your own home.
Enjoy these music selections performed by Caring Arts musicians.
- Enjoy more music from Caring Arts musicians Bill Syniar and Greg Hirte. Taken from a special Zoom performance for Gilda’s Club Outreach, this nine-minute video includes "Oh, Darlin'," "The Girl from Ipanema" and "Summertime."
- Caring Arts musicians Bill Syniar and Greg Hirte team up to provide the music for a sing-along version of “Here Comes the Sun” along with renditions of "Moon Dance" and “Sway."
- Enjoy "Moon River", "Blackbird" and other easy listening selections.
- Caring Arts musicians Bill and Katy provide 14 minutes of beautiful violin and guitar music. Songs include "Wonderful World," "Besame Mucho", "Yesterday" and "Time After Time."
- Enjoy music featuring Beatles tunes "Here Comes the Sun" and "Let It Be" and "My Favorite Things" and "Edelweiss" from The Sound of Music.
- This virtual performance features "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," the Beatles "Something," "Danny Boy," and Bill's original "Bossa."
- Bill and Katy perform "All of Me," Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah," "Meditation" and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight."
Arts and Crafts
- Newspaper Collage. Create easy collage art using newspaper, magazines and paint or markers. Chicago artist Ellen Lustig demonstrates in this nine-minute video from the Caring Arts Foundation.
- Make your own bright-colored yarn from old T-shirts. Brooke from the Caring Arts Foundation demonstrates how in this six-minute video. Then follow the link in the video description to learn to create macrame projects, hairbands, rag rugs, friendship bracelets and other fun craft items using this yarn.
- Chinese Take-Out Carton Flower Pot. Make a pretty herb or flower pot from recycled Chinese carry-out cartons. Barbara Weigand of the Caring Arts Foundation shows you how in this eight-minute video.
- Easy Marble Glass Designs. Make beautiful marbleized glass or ceramic ware using nail polish and other materials found in your home. Brooke, an artist from the Caring Arts Foundation, shows you how in this four-minute video. These make great gifts!
- Paper Landscapes.Create easy landscape art at home using torn or cut paper and glue. Barbara Weigand of the Caring Arts Foundation demonstrates three techniques to experiment with in this 42-minute video.
- Tissue Paper Flowers. Call on your inner artist. Barbara Weigand of the Caring Arts Foundation shows you how to create lovely tissue flowers in this 20-minute video.
- Make a bird feeder in minutes and watch the birds come flocking. Barbara Weigand of the Caring Arts Foundation demonstrates this simple project which is perfect for families.
- Learn to make animal puppets from a sock and materials available in your home. Ellen Lustig, a Chicago artist and puppet maker, shows you how in this 11-minute video from the Caring Arts Foundation.
- Paint with dots, using your finger in place of a brush. Chicago artist Ellen Lustig demonstrates, using materials found in your own home. This seven-minute video is from the Caring Arts Foundation.
- Tissue Paper Mosaics. Use assorted colors of tissue paper and your imagination to create mosaic designs Ellen Lustig, a Chicago artist, shows you how in this eight-minute video from the Caring Arts Foundation.
- Gratitude Cards. Say "thank you" or "happy birthday" with these three-dimensional cards made by you at home using basic materials. This 20-minute video is from the Caring Arts Foundation.
Make a Difference
Waterford Place is free of charge to participants; however it is entirely supported by philanthropy meaning that every gift matters. There are many fundraising, corporate giving, individual donation, wish list and volunteer opportunities. Learn more about ways to give.