What is a mommy makeover?
Pregnancy causes significant changes to the body that can linger long after the baby is born. A mommy makeover is a collection of cosmetic procedures, performed in one surgical session, that restore the shape and appearance of the post-pregnancy body.
Doctors offer different techniques and combinations of procedures, but the most common areas targeted are the breasts, abdomen, waist, genitalia and buttocks. A mommy makeover can address the following:
- Breasts that are sagging, uneven or decreased in volume
- Drooping nipples and stretched areolas
- Excess fat in the midsection, hips and thighs
- Increased breast size that’s out of proportion to the rest of your body and/or causes back pain
- Loose skin, stretch marks and lack of definition around the waistline
- Sagging or loose vaginal tissue
If you’re considering a mommy makeover, for lasting results it’s best to have one after you’re done having children.
How a mommy makeover works
A mommy makeover is usually performed under general anesthesia. Your experience will be unique based on the procedures you choose to have; see the list below for the steps involved in each.
Which areas of the body does a mommy makeover treat?
A mommy makeover can include one or more of the following procedures:
- Abdominoplasty or “tummy tuck”
- Breast augmentation
- Breast lift or mastopexy
- Buttock reshaping
- Liposuction or liposculpture
How long does it take to recover from a mommy makeover?
Depending on the procedures you choose to have, recovery could take several weeks — but as with every surgery, recovery is highly individual. During your consultation, your doctor will talk with you about what to expect.