Advanced Breast Health Diagnostics
In the case of a breast abnormality, a mammogram is only the first step. Rush Copley uses the latest technology to help improve the accuracy of a diagnosis.
To ensure the accuracy of your diagnosis, Rush Copley’s highly skilled radiologists may also utilize the following techniques:
- Diagnostic radiology: Diagnostic mammography, breast ultrasound, breast MRI, CT and PET imaging
- Stereotactic biopsy: A minimally invasive technique using computer-generated images to locate breast abnormalities which more accurately pinpoint the area to be biopsied
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy: Allows the surgeon to minimize the extent of underarm lymph node removal necessary to diagnose and stage breast cancer
MRI Breast Imaging
The American Medical Association recently suggested that women, who are known to have the BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene, have an MRI of the breast over a traditional mammogram. Breast MRI has been proven to be useful in:
- evaluating a woman who has a palpable mass that isn't visible with ultrasound or mammography
- assessing a lesion in the densely glandular breast of a young woman.
- screening a young woman who is at high risk for cancer because of a significant family history of breast cancer or an abnormal breast cancer gene