Medications are ordered for a specific reason and time period based on your medical condition under you physician’s plan of care. Proper follow-up office visits and often lab tests are needed to make sure your medications are right for you. Most chronic medical conditions require office visits at least every 6 months. We recommend receiving refills for your medications at your regular office visits. When this is not possible, refill requests will be reviewed with the following considerations:
- Do not wait until you are out of medication to request a refill.
- Refill request should be made directly to the pharmacy. Your pharmacy should contact our office electronically for refill authorization. This helps to verify the correct dose and frequency.
- Routine medications refills will be processed generally within 2 business days.
- Written medication refills (such as controlled substances) will be processed within 2 business days. These prescriptions often must be picked up at the office.
- Refills are usually processed during normal business hours Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm. A medication refill request after regular business hours cannot be filled using our on-call emergency system. Please plan ahead.
- Refills may be denied if proper medical follow up is not performed (office visits, labs, etc.).
Please consider contacting your pharmacy to verify that the prescription is ready for pick up.
Prior Authorization- Many insurance companies require prior authorizations for certain medication. This is individualized and dependent upon your insurance benefits. Our office will take every step to process these requests as quickly as possible; however, these requests may take up to 7 days or longer depending upon your insurance company’s prior authorization policy and approval.