Skip to Content
Rush-Copley Medical Group
Home > Health & Fitness > Healthwise > Chemical Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)
Chemical pinkeye (conjunctivitis) or toxic pinkeye is caused by
getting smoke, liquids, fumes, or chemicals in the eye. Flushing the eye with
running water must be done immediately to remove the toxic chemical or
Mild pinkeye can be caused by the chlorine in swimming pools. Most
people don't need treatment. After the eye is rinsed free of the toxic
substance, artificial tears or ointment may be used to decrease the redness and
Symptoms of serious pinkeye caused by a toxic substance
Pinkeye from a chemical or toxic substance needs to be evaluated by a
Chemical pinkeye is not contagious.
Current as of:
June 4, 2014
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more, visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Retrieving newsletters from the Web service...
Sorry, the newsletter Web service is unavailable at this time.
You have signed up for the selected newsletters.
© Copyright 2014 Rush-Copley Medical Center • 2000 Ogden Avenue; Aurora, IL 60504
Main: 630-978-6200 • Physician Referral & Information: 630-978-6700 or 866-4COPLEY (866-426-7539)