Skip to Content
Rush-Copley Medical Group
Home > Health & Fitness > Healthwise > Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
poisoning happens when you breathe too much carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is
a gas produced by burning any type of fuel—gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or
charcoal. What makes this gas so dangerous is that when you breathe it,
it replaces the oxygen in your blood. Without oxygen, cells throughout the
body die, and the organs stop working.
You can't see, smell, or
taste carbon monoxide. But if you breathe too much of it, it can become deadly
within minutes. So be sure you know the signs of carbon monoxide
poisoning, what to do if you have the symptoms, and how to keep it from
monoxide can come from any source that burns fuel. Common sources are cars, fireplaces,
powerboats, woodstoves, kerosene space heaters, charcoal grills, and gas
appliances such as water heaters, ovens, and dryers. Usually they cause no problems. Trouble comes when:
Early symptoms of carbon
monoxide poisoning include:
As carbon monoxide builds up in your blood, symptoms get worse and may include:
If you have symptoms that you think could be caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, leave the area right away, and call 911 or go to the emergency room. If you keep breathing the fumes,
you may pass out and die.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur
suddenly or over a long period of time. Breathing low levels of carbon monoxide
over a long period can cause severe heart problems and brain damage. See a
It can be hard to know if you have
carbon monoxide poisoning. The same symptoms can be caused by flu or other
problems. In the winter months, doctors may suspect carbon monoxide poisoning
in people who complain of severe headache, nausea, or dizziness. This is
especially true if other household members or coworkers have the same symptoms. Even pets in the home may get sick.
your doctor suspects carbon monoxide poisoning, he or she can order a blood
test that measures the amount of carbon monoxide in your blood. You may have
other blood tests to check your overall health and to look for problems caused
by carbon monoxide.
The best treatment is oxygen
therapy. Breathing pure oxygen can bring the oxygen level in the blood back to
normal. There are two kinds of oxygen therapy:
With quick treatment, most people recover within a few
days. But long-term problems can show up later. Be sure to tell your
doctor about any changes in vision, coordination, or behavior that occur in the
weeks after treatment.
Many people die every year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
There are some easy steps you can take to reduce your risk. One of the most important is to see a doctor right away if you think you have symptoms.
Learning about carbon monoxide poisoning:
Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning:
The National Center for Environmental Health is
sponsored by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The
Center works to maintain and improve the health of the American people by
promoting a healthy environment and by preventing premature death and avoidable
illness and disability caused by environmental and related factors.
Other Works Consulted
Olsen KR (2012). Carbon monoxide section of
Poisoning. In SJ McPhee, MA Papadakis, eds., 2012 Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment, 51st ed., pp. 1518–1547. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical.
Smollin C, Olson K (2010). Carbon monoxide poisoning (acute),
search date June 2010. Online version of BMJ Clinical Evidence:
Wiegand TJ, et al. (2008). Carbon monoxide section of Management of poisoning and drug overdose. In EG Nabel, ed., ACP Medicine, section 8, chap. 1. Hamilton, ON: BC Decker.
March 1, 2012
Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine & R. Steven Tharratt, MD, MPVM, FACP, FCCP - Pulmonology, Critical Care Medicine, Medical Toxicology
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Retrieving newsletters from the Web service...
Sorry, the newsletter Web service is unavailable at this time.
You have signed up for the selected newsletters.
© Copyright 2014 Rush-Copley Medical Center • 2000 Ogden Avenue; Aurora, IL 60504
Main: 630-978-6200 • Physician Referral & Information: 630-978-6700 or 866-4COPLEY (866-426-7539)