Skip to Content
have a possible poisoning emergency, call 1-800-222-1222
and you will be automatically transferred to the closest poison control
Many of the items in our homes can be poisonous to
children—household cleaners, medicines, cosmetics, garden products, and
houseplants. If these items are not kept out of reach, your child could
swallow, inhale, or eat these toxic substances or get them on his or her
Young children have the highest risk of poisoning because
of their natural curiosity. Products that are poisonous to children can also
Use the following tips to keep dangerous products or
items away from children.
National Pesticide Information Center (2008). Signal words. Available online: http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/signalwords.html.
Other Works Consulted
Wang G, et al. (2014). Poisoning. In WW Hay Jr et al., eds., Current Diagnosis and Treatment: Pediatrics, 22nd ed., pp. 357–386. New York: McGraw-Hill.
ByHealthwise StaffPrimary Medical ReviewerJohn Pope, MD - PediatricsSpecialist Medical ReviewerThomas Emmett Francoeur, MD, MDCM, CSPQ, FRCPC - Pediatrics
Current as ofAugust 21, 2015
Current as of:
August 21, 2015
John Pope, MD - Pediatrics & Thomas Emmett Francoeur, MD, MDCM, CSPQ, FRCPC - Pediatrics
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
© Copyright 2016 Rush-Copley Medical Center • 2000 Ogden Avenue; Aurora, IL 60504
Main: 630-978-6200 • Physician Referral & Information: 630-978-6700 or 866-4COPLEY (866-426-7539)