Skip to Content
Chemical pinkeye (conjunctivitis) or toxic pinkeye is caused by
getting smoke, liquids, fumes, or chemicals in the eye. Flushing the eye with
running water must be done immediately to remove the toxic chemical or
Mild pinkeye can be caused by the chlorine in swimming pools. Most
people don't need treatment. After the eye is rinsed free of the toxic
substance, artificial tears or ointment may be used to decrease the redness and
Symptoms of serious pinkeye caused by a toxic substance
Pinkeye from a chemical or toxic substance needs to be evaluated by a
Chemical pinkeye is not contagious.
ByHealthwise StaffPrimary Medical ReviewerWilliam H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency MedicineAdam Husney, MD - Family MedicineSpecialist Medical ReviewerKathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Current as ofMay 27, 2016
Current as of:
May 27, 2016
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine & Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
© Copyright 2017 Rush Copley Medical Center • 2000 Ogden Avenue; Aurora, IL 60504
Main: 630-978-6200 • Physician Referral & Information: 630-978-6700 or 866-4COPLEY (866-426-7539)