Skip to Content
A toxin is a poison made by living cells or organisms. Toxins can
cause health problems on contact or when they are absorbed by the body.
The severity of a reaction to a toxin varies greatly. A bee sting
causes a minor reaction in most people. But eating food containing botulinum toxin can cause a deadly
reaction. Usually, the severity of the health problem caused by a toxin depends
Treatment can be as simple as staying away from the toxin and
limiting future exposure. In some cases, treatment with substances, such as anti-venom, can prevent serious illness.
Fortunately, the levels of most toxins in the environment are low.
Current as of:
November 20, 2015
Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine & R. Steven Tharratt, MD, MPVM, FACP, FCCP - Pulmonology, Critical Care Medicine, Medical Toxicology
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
© Copyright 2017 Rush-Copley Medical Center • 2000 Ogden Avenue; Aurora, IL 60504
Main: 630-978-6200 • Physician Referral & Information: 630-978-6700 or 866-4COPLEY (866-426-7539)