Skip to Content
Untreated water is drinking water that has not been chemically
treated, filtered, or boiled to eliminate infectious bacteria, viruses, and
parasites (such as Giardia lamblia). These organisms can
cause diarrhea and illness.
Many infections that result from drinking untreated water go away
by themselves after a few days, but some require treatment.
Current as of:
June 4, 2014
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more, visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
© Copyright 2015 Rush-Copley Medical Center • 2000 Ogden Avenue; Aurora, IL 60504
Main: 630-978-6200 • Physician Referral & Information: 630-978-6700 or 866-4COPLEY (866-426-7539)