Skip to Content
Bites and stings from insects (bees, wasps,
yellow jackets) and spiders usually cause
pain, swelling, redness, and itching at the
site of the sting or bite. In some people,
especially children, the redness and swelling
may be worse and last up to a few days.
A few people have severe reactions
to the toxin injected by the insect or spider. A toxic reaction occurs when insect or spider venom acts like a
poison in the body. This type of reaction can occur from one bite or sting from
a highly toxic insect or spider, or from multiple bites or stings from insects
or spiders not normally considered poisonous.
Symptoms of a toxic reaction vary depending on the insect or spider,
the toxicity of the venom, and the amount of venom injected. Most often,
symptoms improve or go away within 48 hours. Although hives and difficulty
breathing may occur in an allergic reaction, these symptoms will not occur in a
toxic reaction. It is possible to have both a toxic reaction and an allergic
reaction at the same time.
A toxic reaction may require immediate medical care or may lead to death. Signs and symptoms of a toxic reaction may include:
In addition to injecting venom, the sting or bite may also cause an infection that could require medical care. Symptoms of infection may include:
ByHealthwise StaffPrimary Medical ReviewerE. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal MedicineSpecialist Medical ReviewerRohit K Katial, MD - Allergy and Immunology
Current as ofFebruary 20, 2015
Current as of:
February 20, 2015
E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine & Rohit K Katial, MD - Allergy and Immunology
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
© Copyright 2016 Rush-Copley Medical Center • 2000 Ogden Avenue; Aurora, IL 60504
Main: 630-978-6200 • Physician Referral & Information: 630-978-6700 or 866-4COPLEY (866-426-7539)